It depends on you.
If you’re not using SEMrush & Ahref, and you want to preserve bandwidth or prevent SEMrush or Ahref from indexing SEO and technical issues, On-Page SEO Checker, backlinks, Brand Monitoring, Content Analyzer, and Post Tracking then you can block their Bots.
Before going in detail let us know, what is the bot?: Web Bot is an internet bot computer program whose developers claim is able to predict future events by tracking keywords entered on the internet. It was developed in 1997, originally to predict stock market trends. The creator of the Web Bot Project, Clif High, along with his associate George Ure, keep the technology and algorithms largely secret and sell the predictions via the website.
How SEMrushBot Crawls Your Site?
What is SEMrush?
If you are new in the digital marketing field, then you might have heard about the term SEMrush from your seniors. Semrush is U.S based company that offers your online marketing analysis. Many digital marketers, including me, use semrush; Now, a question many put up in your mind what is semrush used for? it is an online tool that is used in digital marketing strategies. In simple words, you just have to enter a domain name and you are ready to go; You will get all the data about the domain like keywords, backlinks, traffic, and much other important information that a digital marketer needs.
SEMrush Bots start crawling webpages URLs in the internet, Bot’s will crawl all links internal & external links in your website to get updates from content changes, new pages, and dead links.
How to block SEMrush through your robots.txt?
Bots are crawling your web pages to help parse your site content. To block bots to crawling with robots.txt use the following step to block
- Block SEMrush bots entirely, This example is pretty straight forward, it just blocks SEMrush’s bots entirely:
- To block SEMrushBot from crawling your site for different SEO and technical issues:
- To block SEMrushBot from crawling your site for Backlink Audit tool
- To block SEMrushBot from crawling your site for On Page SEO Checker tool and similar tools:
- To block SEMrushBot from checking URLs your site for SWA tool:
- To block SEMrushBot from crawling your site for Content Analyzer and Post Tracking tools:
- To block SEMrushBot from crawling your site for Brand Monitoring:
Tell SemrushBot to go easy on your site
Alternatively, you could tell SemrushBot to crawl your site slowly if they’re taking up too much of your site’s resources. Here’s how to tell them to crawl one URL per minute:
How long does it will take to update the above robots.txt in SEMrush?
According to SEmrush, it may take one hour or 100 requests to rechange & processes your changes.
What is AhrefsBot doing on your website?
AhrefsBot is crawling your website making notes of outbound links and adding them to our database. It will periodically re-crawl your website to check the current status of previously found links.
How to block Ahrefs through your robots.txt?
- Block Ahref bots entirely, This example is pretty straight forward
- Tell Ahref to go easy on your site, you could tell AhrefBot to crawl your site slowly
* The Above Number is a time in seconds.